Carpooling is a rideshare arrangement between two or more people who travel together in a private vehicle. The commuters typically travel to and from work together. A carpool group could use one designated driver’s car and pay the driver a portion of the costs, or, the group could rotate drivers and vehicles without exchanging money. A Pace carpool is not the same as ride hailing where riders pay a driver using a distance-based fee, mobile app and arrange a one-time trip in one direction.
Start a carpool
Many carpools form when co-workers, classmates or neighbors see that they have the same commute. Other carpools are created through the Pace RideShare Program using our online ridematch system, which looks at travel times and geographic locations. Pace RideShare staff can also help with finding commuters through the Pace RideShare's social media, analysis of commuter data and outreach to employer and academic partners in the region. All of this Pace RideShare Program assistance is absolutely free.
Commuters who carpool with just one other person can reduce their commuting expenses by almost half, potentially saving thousands of dollars each year.
Once you have a group of interested commuters, the next step is to discuss the details of operation. Review these tips on forming a rideshare group.
Find more riders
Pace RideShare can help you find more riders.
- Register to find other commuters and message the individuals that you match to about carpooling
- The Pace RideShare Registration Guide explains how to create a new account, optimize search abilities, register your carpool and generate a summary of financial and environmental savings resulting from ridesharing.
- Frequently Asked Registration Questions
- Contact staff to create a flyer outlining your commute. In addition to you having your own personal set of flyers, Pace RideShare will share your commute via social media, and at your employer's location when possible
- You may want to approach the Human Resources department, Transportation Coordinator or Property Manager for assistance with identifying other commuters that might be interested in ridesharing with you