Bus and Train
Get on transit.
Public transportation is simply the easiest way to get from here to there. And the fares are fair.
The Northeastern Illinois Public Transportation Network consists of local and express bus services, trains, rapid transit, and transportation systems that are set up with advanced scheduling.
This overview can help you explore transportation options that link you to employment, education, shopping, community involvement and more. Find what works best for you!
South Shore Line
Ride the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District's South Shore Line to Chicago and Northwest Indiana destinations. Please note that flagged stops mean during pickup, you must be visible to the conductor on the platform and to disembark, you must notify the conductor.
First-Time Rider Tips
- Review travel tips for Pace, CTA and Metra.
- Find schedules and maps for CTA, Metra and Pace! Goroo can also help you customize your trip to use only accessible services, choose between bus, train and multimodal trips
For live trip planning assistance, call the RTA Travel Line at
- Get your Pace and CTA transit pass (Ventra card)
- There are many Park-n-Ride locations near transit stops.
- To apply for ADA Paratransit Certification.
Bikes on Buses and TrainsPace, Metra and CTA all allow bikes on their buses and/or trains - make sure you familiarize yourself with the guidelines before taking your bike aboard.
Delays happen. Make sure you sign up for email alerts for up-to-date service information!